Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Matthew under the arm 42

Yes, I know! This is Holy Week and why am I not 'cutting to the chase' and going to the Passion Narrative? Well, you'll know this, of course, but the Gospels are written from 'beyond' the Passion. The Gospel, even this Chapter 10 passage is written from the experience of the Passion of the Resurrection. So the Passion is here in this passage, in any case! Is that not a wonderful piece of self-justification?...you might suggest. Of course! (Laughter is also 'on' in Holy Week.)
I had four people walking beside me on the pilgrimage 'leg' today. Great day. Columba was behind us, by himself, trying out a song to himself. (He makes songs and hymns up...) I was waxing eloquent on my experience of Columba and his teaching. The four were hanging on my every word. 'And what has his Christian teaching done for you?' Well, at that I waxed even more eloquent, with hand gestures. In the afternoon, the four had said farewell and carried on while Columba tried out his new song on me. (Not bad, I suppose) He was smiling, knowlingly. 'What are you smiling about?' I asked rather defensively. 'Impressive stuff, you gave that lot earlier', he commented. 'Mmm. I think I managed to get to them'. 'No you didn't', Columba replied. 'Your mask did!'


Matthew 10:26-33….
Most of us, if not all, hide parts of ourselves from others. This is because we are afraid of being exposed, being seen for what and who we really are. We set up, as it were, smoke-screens. Being made in the image of God, Christ sees through it all. All is revealed. Not just the reality of who we are but all the hidden issues of our culture. The difference is that we do not need to be afraid, because we are loved..... even in our fear!


Let the silence and the stillness bring you knowledge of My Love for you


Use the sentence for a while. Then, before you, in your imagination, is a bowl with beautiful, clear and cool water. Christ asks you to drink from it deeply. Then wash your face with the water. Feel the sensations in all their detail. Do not dry yourself. Let your skin dry naturally. You look at Christ before you. He conveys to you that this is a symbol of the water of baptism in you revealing all the darkness and fear in you with love. The water cleanses you and evaporates. Your fear is exposed in love and raised as a prayer of offering to be healed. When you leave your prayer, go and have a glass of water!

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Donald said...

Praise God for His love (agape).

5:36 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home