Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Matthew under the arm 84

This morning, Columba and I were joined by two students. They were knowledgable and articulate. One knew about the stars and the other knew about trees and wild flowers. Columba remained silent as they waxed eloquent on their new found intellectual agility. He nodded and muttered politely. They both knew that they were with Columba, yet not once did they ask him anything about himself or his thoughts or experience. I whispered to him, 'Such arrogance'. 'No, no', he winked. 'They are trying to find a way of asking me how to live and live well, but don't know how to. To ask me would feel humiliating.' Columba turned to them. 'How do I learn more about these magnificent trees?'......!

Matthew 18:1-4….
All the questions and comments, including the ones that are about information, have their basis in just one question: Do you love me? That’s an embarrassing question except for children and lovers, who don’t really mind revealing their insecurity. Those that do hunger for position are asking that question by other means and they will discover that their question will not be satisfied. The further away we get from the basic question, the more recognition is sought by other less direct and less honest means. A child wants affirmation and realises that he or she is dependent on others for that. The kingdom is where questions are asked freely. David Jenkins described his own spiritual journey as: constantly refining the question...

In the silence and stillness of your heart, come to Me in Freedom and Truth


If I ask you a question, I am saying to you: ‘You have knowledge about something that I do not know’. Blessed is he who knows that he does not know. When you do have the humility to ask, the question you put is not necessarily the actual question that you really want to ask. ‘Do you accept me? Am I OK? Do you love me?’ Now these do reveal insecurity. But these questions are often asked in a manipulative way to get the feedback we want. Alternatively, they can be asked as masked acts of agression. Often in those circumstances, they are not really questions at all, but posturing. That can be a form of abuse. The Kingdom of Heaven is where you can be straight forward and yourself. You can taste that Kingdom in the use of this sentence, following your silence with a few question to Christ. What would they be?

+Martin
Argyll and The Isles

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger liturgy said...

Great to find a blogging bishop!
As a school chaplain I use a cross in the shape of a question mark as a logo. I'm currently reworking it into a digital format otherwise I'd email a copy

Bosco
www.liturgy.co.nz

9:33 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home