Sunday, March 09, 2008

Matthew under the arm 108

A priest joined us on a relatively easy part of our walking. He had that look on his face which I always leaves me guessing. Was he arrogant or fearful. After all, arrogance is often a posture adopted by the fearful as an attempt not to have the fear exposed. Columba was talking with this priest for hours on end. What struck me was that most of te time Columba asked the priest a question, he seemed to have an answer. When the priest asked Columba a question, frequently Columba's response was of not knowing or even uncertainty.

Matthew 22:15-22….
Two groups which represent religion and local politics feel threatened by Jesus. So they hoped by a pincer movement to trap Jesus – either for blasphemy (Caesar is divine – therefore a direct challenge to Jewish theology) or for incitement to dissidence (Caesar is not divine – against the political status quo). His neat reply is almost like a Zen conundrum (koan). The Kingdom of God is breaking in but it is also not here. All religion falls into the trap of either being over-identified with political power and norms or putting itself beyond them. The motivation for both can be disturbingly similar. The way of Christ demands simplicity. However, true simplicity is delicate and demands a refined balance.

Let the Way of Your Truth deepen my awareness of Your Life in all things.


By disidentifying yourself from the drive for power over others and by refining the spiritual antennae of awareness, you can remain free to live and work in the middle of human structures, and so bring a simple prophetic insight of detachment, by the way you are. This demands great discipline. That is why you are asked to spend time regularly in prayer – by dropping down into your inner life. That refined balance is achieved by the Spirit of Christ that then has a consequent affect in your outer life.

+Martin
Argyll and The Isles.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Donald said...

Columba would have been as certain of his eternal destiny and the value of the Gospels as Hundred the Monk was when he rescued the Lindisfarne Gospels from the North Sea.

The Lord Jesus Christ wants us to be certain of our Salvation. That is why he uses definite terms in his statements. E.g. John 14 v 27 “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. “ or answering Thomas’ doubts (John 20 v 27 – 29) “Then he said to Thomas, "Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe."
Thomas said to him, "My Lord and my God!"
Then Jesus told him, "Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed." Or in Jesus prayer to the father (John 17 v 8) . “For I gave them the words you gave me and they accepted them. They knew with certainty that I came from you, and they believed that you sent me”

Jesus speaks of people who would lead others astray, “But if anyone causes one of these little ones [young in the faith] who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a large millstone hung around his neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea. “

This is simplicity, the balance is our destiny i.e. Heaven or Hell.

9:16 am  
Blogger Martin said...

I am not sure whether, Donald, the writer of St John's Gospel would agree with you. The Heaven or Hell contrast that you paint in such a stark manner reminds me of the Manichee Heresy which St Augustine of Hippo spent many of his years challenging.
The 'doubt' in St Thomas is not about an intelelctual quest only but about a conviction of life....
That translation you are using does not honour the meaninging, I have to tell you.

11:58 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home