Friday, September 15, 2006

Where I am

Columba was, according to Adomnan, his biographer (hagiographer?), particularly conscious of where he was at any given moment. The place where he was, was where God was to be found. That included the places where he found himself longing for a past he had lost and a place he would rather be. Somehow, he had a practice that brought him back to the 'present moment'...
A great book and a classic of spiritual literature, with what seems to be me a rather off-putting title, is SELF-ABANDONMENT TO DIVINE LOVE. It's by Jean-Pierre de Caussade... He talks about the 'sacrament' of the present moment. This moment I am now in, including writing this blog now, is 'holy' ; it is where God is.... It is even 'revelation', if I would only look and observe and 'take in', or better... 'allow in' what is happening around me - now.
So a possible 'practice' is to sit, stand, kneel or walk.... and spend the time [- it needs no less than 10 minutes -] just being aware; attentive to where you are.... This is simple but not without its difficulties. Straight away, I am confronted with vthe reality not only of where I am, but also with myself! Christ being the presence of God in this moment is there - or better - here!
Any reactions? Responses?

5 Comments:

Blogger Christine McIntosh said...

I am only too aware of the "self" bit - and the need to see beyond that. Rather like trying to avoid seeing the floaters in one's aging eyes - you have to be able to focus further out, don't you? And it doesn't always work - physically and spiritually!

12:56 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...


This moment I am now in, including writing this blog now, is 'holy' ; it is where God is.... It is even 'revelation', if I would only look and observe and 'take in', or better... 'allow in' what is happening around me - now.

I wonder if you were referring to a felt reality or a determined belief (or both?). If the former, I'm glad you blogging has come so far so fast!

I think there's an inherent tension between the medium of the web -- which encourages snap decisions and cursory glances -- and the quest for attentiveness to the present moment. But that makes the things on the web which cause us to recollect our focus all the more valuable.

Do you know the Irish Jesuit site, Sacred Space? It takes you through a meditation step by step. I've known a lot of people who've found it a useful way to re-focus on God in the midst of the business of office, school or family. It might be a practical way for someone to engage with what you are suggesting.

7:30 pm  
Blogger An Honest Man said...

I've been reading your blog since Chris mentioned it and if you don't mind an agnostic joining the conversation .... (actually I can't be agnostic since I'm obviously trying to reconcile God with what I see around me, which means I must presuppose there is a God).

I find a greater 'possibility in' / 'closeness to' God in solitude, whether it is in the hills or in Church or in 'holy sites' or even in the teeming multitudes of the city.

That probably comes from me being too judgemental of others.

But where I'm coming from is - please keep blogging. I've already gained from it and hope to gain more - and I'm sure others will as well

10:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bill Viola has something to teach us about this, the intensity of experience stills and suspends time in his work .I'm thinking of 'Catherine's room' a piece about Catherine of Siena

9:10 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wonderful post. thought i’d recommend a site folks can sample some of Caussade’s writings:

http://www.gitananda.org/suurender/index.php

12:15 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home