Monday, February 05, 2007

Matthew under the arm 27

Towards evening, yesterday, Columba who had been quiet all day, was standing looking out over a view along the path that wound along the coast. It was beautiful sight indeed. He stopped, with tears in his eyes. 'I miss her', he was whispering to himself - or so he thought! 'I miss her terribly'. Columba got a fright when he realised that I had overheard him. 'Who do you miss?' It took him some time to answer. He spoke of someone he had loved and who loved him deeply back in Ireland. He could see her face now and the way in which she had reached out to him and his troubled heart. Why should this revelation of the private life of the saint surprise me. Columba is a passionate man, he has chosen the passionate path to leave home and walk with Christ and the people of this strange land - and with me? But that doesn't mean he must goudge out of his heart the tenderness of a love that will remain with him for ever. He looked at me and laughed with that knowing laugh that I had understood. The pain of that memory is also beautiful and is to be lived now. 'I pray that I never lose the capacity of that love she taught me'.


Matthew 7:7-12
Everyone prays, whether they believe in God or not. It is a natural ‘beseeching’. There is either the prayer of loving adoration – gazing at a loved-one, asking, pleading, even begging. When we’re frightened or lost, we beg. In front of a loved one, we know what to do and be, even if we fail in the process. Likewise our behaviour must guided by the way we want to be treated. God loves us completely and without reserve or desert. The ‘Golden Rule’ in these verses is about God. How does God want to treat others?


Be still and wait on the realisation of My Will within you


Ask God for what you want. Just be yourself. Write your asking, write your begging – face it head on! ‘I want….this, that…. I want to…. I want this person to….’ Selfishness and selflessness may seem inappropriate in prayer, but wait!. You will slowly realise what lies at the heart of your asking, which is the will of God. The object of your desire becomes more and more absorbed into your Love of God as your prayer deepens. The question you are asking may become more and more refined. You will find that you engage with the question on your living which is an answering in itself.

+Martin
Argyll and The Isles

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As the Psalmist says, 'Thou o Lord God art the thing that I long for' It remids us that the basis of all desire is the nostalgia for Paradise, the blind longing to be back 'in sinu Patris.' To bring all our desires and longings to God helps to bring about the 'purification of motive in the ground of our beseeching'

4:44 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home