Friday, April 20, 2007

Matthew under the arm 45

Columba (again!) was ahead of me by about a mile today. I caught up with him only because he had stopped by a gate to stare at something. As I got closer, I realised he was looking at some flowers laid by some old walking boots. Soon I learnt that these were the boots of a young pilgrim who had been ill for years and had been determined to make a pilgrimage before death and - hadn't quite made it. He had literally dropped here. Columba was weeping. 'Did you know this person?' I asked. Columba turned to me and spoke of the young person with love. I lamely suggested that we pray. 'I am', said Columba. I wept too. Prayer. In the evening, we found a bed in the local baker's house. Columba was still weeping. The baker took Columba's hand and dragged him to his feet. 'You come too', he said to me. The three of us went into the village hall and there was some country dancing. I sheepishly looked to see what Columba might think. The baker didn't wait and dragged him into a circle of movement, rhthym and dancing. Columba turned to me: 'Mourning and now the dancing.... prayer!' The movement of God.


Matthew 11.16-19….
Dancing and mourning. Of all physical activities, these perhaps more than most, express the body’s identity with wide emotions. Letting the body move rhythmically in dancing is an abandonment to joy. Mourning is also an abandonment. It employs a letting go in loss and not pretending to be in control. Wisdom in Christ involves allowing oneself to be abandoned for, even on behalf of others.


Let My Wisdom be the foundation of your living and your actions

I imagine myself free in dancing, whether in the beauty of ballet or in the sweaty glow of country dancing with the accompanying sounds of sheer joy. I then think of myself crying with copious tears, even wailing, over a tragedy. Do not allow yourself to be judged or analysed. This is a human moment of freedom and rawness. On the basis of those feelings, enter the silence. Freedom and abandonment aid the ability of the one praying to be in the present moment.

+Martin
Argyll and The Isles

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home