Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Matthew under the arm 113


For three days now, a young woman has joined us on our pilgrimage. In fact, it looks as if she may remain with us for the remainder. Despite her years, her face already shows the marks of pain and anxiety. There is, however, something intensely strong in her eyes. What that is, perhaps I shall discover. Columba talks and talks in her presence. I couldn't help feeling slightly gleeful at an exchange which happened earlier today. Columba was sitting on some dry grass and showing the young woman, Clare, his copy of Matthew's Gospel. He was describing how he and I had been using Matthew on our pilgrimage. Columba seemed to indicate huge knowledge and confidence in the Gospel. I was irritated in what sounded like self-righteousness in his voice. He noticed this in me. We became embroiled in a lengthy debate, he and I, in how confident we were in the Way of Christ. The young woman listened and listened until, at last, there was an break in the prattle. She added, 'It's not whether YOU are confident in The Way... That is impossible. What is possible is the confidence and love of God in you....' Silence descended. I hope she stays!


Matthew 23:13-32….
“I am one of those who have the key to finding God…. To find God, be like me…. I give my attention to the things of God rather than God himself…. My scrupulosity over the details of my life is designed to impress…. I give pride of place to my image of myself…. My attention to my outer life is starving my inner life…. I blame others for the maltreatment of the saints of the past masking my complicity in violence….” Jesus in these seven ‘exposures’ provided the opportunity for self-examination in the early Christian Church to be clear about its motivation in preparation for God’s Kingdom.


I thank you that you are opening my heart to Your Clarity in preparation for living in Your Truth.



Begin with silence and the sentence until you feel still enough to look at this exercise. Use the seven ‘exposures’ above to review some of your attitudes. If it feels appropriate, write your reactions down honestly without being over-analytical. Do not try to make any resolutions too quickly. Simply observe your feelings that arise and face them for what they are. You may want to share your observations with a spiritual director or someone you trust. Soon the story of the Passion will be the greatest exposure of motivation that there is.

+Martin
Argyll and The Isles

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home