Monday, April 23, 2007

Matthew under the arm 46

Yesterday was hard. For several days, we had been walking with little food. Most of the little shops seem to have been shut or to have been low on stock. However, at luncthime, we had come across a shop that had some bread left and a crate of tomatoes. A queue had formed. Not Columba! He barged right to the front, lifted two loaves, some tomatoes and left some coins on the counter, without so much as a 'thank you'. I was embarrassed - again! Shouts and scuffling broke out as we left the shop. Columba said nothing, but took my arm and we forced our way through an angry crowd - (Justifiably angry - or so I thought!). 'Keep walking', he said firmly to me. We were followed by angry women and squabbling hungry children. We went back on the route of the pilgrimage for a few miles, to a village we had already passed through. Columba went down a lane and walked straight through an open door to a young woman with three children. I waited outside. When he came out, Columba smiled and gave me a piece of bread and two tomatoes. 'What was all that about?' I asked in some puzzlement. To feed the really hungry, you have to step over the hungry. He smiled and added with one of those irritating quotes from the Gospels: 'Beware when men think well of you.'


Matthew 11:2-24….
Sin is damage done to the self. In loving myself, I am much more open in my attitude to others. There is a distinction between being self-centred and self-absorbed. Sin comes from the latter – love from the former. Groups and communities also behave in self-absorbed ways. When they do they begin to deteriorate. Communities that love themselves, take the risk of being open to others, including strangers, invite life and adventure. To love oneself whether individually or as a community is to give of oneself with confidence and simplicity.


I would have the courage to face my sin and, in the Spirit, be transformed


Become aware of the ways in which you have closed down on others. Notice the effects of that on yourself. There is a lack of love for yourself. Write them down as simple facts without being neurotically self-critical. Don’t make plans and projects that only increase feelings of guilt. Then move on to the communities of which you are part: neighbourhood, church, association, working environment, etc. Are there ways in which these have closed down on others, have indeed been unjust in what is being said or done? Let the awareness work and watch what happens even in small ways in these contexts. Use the sentence to emphasise that transformation is not based on your efforts alone!

+Martin
Argyll and The Isles

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Donald said...

Justice is what took the Lord Jesus Christ to the cross. My sin was paid for there, completely. That is the strength of Love (agape)that deals with fear, now I can dance with joy not fearing what others may say. Order doesn't matter my relationship with God is the subject.To do His will is my task.

6:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home