Saturday, April 26, 2008

Matthew under the arm 118

For some days, a young woman has been walking with Columba for most of the time in silence. It hasn't looked as if Columba has been saying much either. As for me, I have been silent also. However, mine is about having lost my voice through chest problems. My breathing has been difficult, affecting my sleep as well. For mile after mile, the two of them seemed to exchange little but the occasional glance or smile. Yesterday when we stopped for some bread, cheese and some fruit, I turned to her and asked with a rather painful whisper, why she hadn't been saying much to Columba, let alone asking him questions. 'I have been trying to learn from him how to watch and to listen.' 'But, there has been no conversation to listen to', I added in puzzlement. 'Yes, there has been listening to the silence.' What was she talking about!? Columba smiled at me. 'Remember, silence is the gift of God. It is not the absence of sound. It is gift. It comes with the gift of simplicity. And in explaining that to you, I have said too much!'


Matthew 24:37-44….
Jesus was not so much concerned with the actual events of a devastating end to history. The fact that it can happen at any time - ‘momento mori’ - calls for a constant awareness. This calls for simplicity. The speculations of enthusiasts for apocalyptic events also distracts from the crucial issues of ‘this’ moment. There have always been Christians who have lived a life of simplicity; who have followed a vocation, 'an option' to be poor in order to be awake to however the presence of God is to be discerned in ‘this’ moment.


I would have my life simplified by the indwelling Spirit of awareness of Your call to me in each moment



Look around your room now. How encumbered are you by ‘things’? The vocation is to be ready and awake enough to discern God’s presence in your life and the lives of others. What gets in the way of that? Can you do something about it? Seek guidance from a spiritual director of skill otherwise this exercise can be nothing other than a plunge into guilt. On the other hand, you can easily avoid the uncomfortable question. However, some ‘things’ are for sheer enjoyment. They can be means of discerning God’s presence. The issue is whether you are free to have them or not to have them. It is identifying yourself as ‘possessing’ that can be the disease. Use the sentence to deepen this awareness.

+Martin
Argyll and The Isles

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

“Simplicity”, “silence”, “I’ve lost my voice”.
Despite Paul’s words “My purpose is that they may be encouraged in heart and united in love, so that they may have the full riches of complete understanding, in order that they may know the mystery of God, namely, Christ, in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.” The bishop of Argyll and the Isles has nothing to say. No wonder the Episcopal Church is dying so quickly.

7:09 am  
Blogger Martin said...

Matthew... I am wondering whether you are wanting to remain anonymous... Perhaps reread your comment and then consider whether or not you have actually 'listened' to what I have 'written'. We are seldom at our best when we deny things and most often at our best when we affirm.
Do email me if that would help alexandermartin.shaw@virgin.net

8:46 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home