Monday, September 18, 2006

Don't take a deep breath

A little experience yesterday... Providential? What are the roots of co-incidence, I wonder? I was asked to return to St Oswald's Episcopal Church, King's Park in Glasgow to preside and preach. Currently, St Oswald's is celebrating their 75th anniversary. From 1968 to 1970, I was a curate there, with leslie Green as the Rector (RIP). Several of the good folk, still there, loved reminding my of some of idiocies! (And... I haven't changed!) Here's the wistful nature of the experience.... Last week, I was on Iona, from where in the 7th Century Aidan had been summoned to intiate and enable mission in Northumbria, by the King of Northumbria, none other than King Oswald! Of course, the Columbas Christian community was then 'rooted' in Lindisfarne, where I am going to preside and preach next Sunday... Following Columba indeed! (I'll be going either by train or car!)

So, to the next 'station' on the spiritual 'following'.... Being 'where I am' - still and reasonably centred, and having noticed, observed 'The Body' which I occupy... or if you don't like that - which is mine only to let go (!), now I notice and be careful about breathing. Don't take a deep breath. Be easy and gentle and rhythmic about it.... Breathing is, of course, of vital importance! So the exercise of observing an action that we take for granted is simply about 'loving' it....
Christ is loving me as I breathe. 'Christ in me (you)... the hope of glory....' If that 'Christian' language is problematic, then don't waste mental or spiritual energy by thinking about it. Just enjoy your gentle breathing... the journey inwards to the basis of the self. In Buddhism, an approach to meditation and awareness is simply exercised in noticing the breathing....

+Martin
Argyll and The isles

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home