Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Matthew under the arm 9

One of the great skills in drama - plays and operas at their best - is that actors and singers will make sure that they do not get in the way of the art; the 'story', the atmosphere which the play or opera is created to present. Columba made sure that he did not get in the way of Christ's presence on the pilgrimage. I'm on pilgrimage with Columba now and he keeps on smiling at me to watch more, to be quiet more in order to let the pilgrimage be one made with Christ and not to do with my achievement. Oh well!
Let me pick up my bible again with you and get some help with this 'upstaging' that I'm inclined towards!

Matthew 4.12-17
Matthias Grünewald’s painting of the Crucifixion shows John the Baptist pointing towards Christ with the Scriptures open at the words: ‘I must decrease so that he may increase.’ He followed in the footsteps of Elijah, one of the great Old Testament prophets, who exposed the hearts of humanity. The Old Testament [The Hebrew Scritptures] is a vital means of understanding the roots of Christ’s presence in human history. John saw into the heart of Christ and prepared the way for this new Inspirer. He did not get in the way. To know Christ is to receive the gift of ‘seeing’ where lostness is to be recovered and hunger is to be fed. Much more than being a prophet, Christ is the way God is.



I thank You for all those who have brought me insight into Your Presence



It will be helpful to have paper for this meditation. John the Baptist is pointing you in the direction of Christ. He is introducing you to Him, Let John take you to Christ personally and intimately. Let the Spirit show you those in your own story who have pointed you to Christ’s presence. They may be people you know intimately or have simply met briefly. They maybe people you have read about or heard speaking. They maybe people in history. See them in front of you and above all thank God for them. They have got out of your way!

+Martin
Argyll and The Isles

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just read this in 'The Wounded Healer'by Henri Nouwen.It's a quotation from James Hillman from the Jung Institute

'For the other person to open and talk requires a withdrawal..I must withdraw to make room for the other...this withdrawal rather than going-out-to- meet the other is an intense act of concentration, a model for which can be found in the Jewish mystical doctrine of Tsimtsum. God as omnipresent and omnipotent was everywhere. He filled the Universe with His being. How then could the creation come about?God had to create it by withdrawal; He createdthe not-Him, the other, by self concentration...on the human level, withdrawal of myself aids the other to come into being'

9:12 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For so many years I wondered if I could "go it alone" - find the presence of Christ without someone to hold my hand, as it were. I now hold in gratitude all those who held my had while I found my way.

10:51 am  
Blogger Donald said...

How wonderful the Lord is in converging the paths of those who are on the road to life eternal. In this reality we live in I too long that they may not see this imperfect traveller but that they may gaze on the perfect Son of God.

9:01 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home