Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Matthew under the arm 57

For months I have been on this pilgrimage with Columba and I still don't get it! He gets up early, which is sensible.... He nips down to the bread shop and brings back some wonderful hot rolls! I can smell them now! It seems always that he has been up for ages. 'How early to you get up?' He simply smiled and said, 'Early enough to be with God before you come and natter at me!' He laughed this time. Why am I making this pilgrimage with such a man? Anyway, this morning I cheated! I got up at about 5.30am and there he was sitting on a log outside the bunkhouse with scraps of paper. He had his eyes closed and he had that stillness which is not like a block of cement, but he had a suppleness, an ease to him. After a while, he became aware that I was watching him. Without turning his head, he asked what I wanted. So I asked him what the papers were. 'Well, before we left I got a brother to give me his scrappy copy of St Matthew's Gospel, which is basically in pieces! I read a passage and then allow a sentence to arise from the passage. Then the sentence takes me into the heart of silence and the Gospel.' He smiled and closed his eyes...but then added, 'How many times have I told you that now?' He's an aweful man!



Matthew 13:18-23….
In Jesus’ explanation of the parable of the sower, there may well be a process that reveals itself. Three sowings produce nothing. The seed is exposed to destructive forces through lack of understanding. There is no rootedness and there is constriction. Fruitfulness comes from energy given to understanding the Word of God, allowing it to be rooted deep within the heart and an accompanying lifestyle that is uncluttered; giving space for productiveness.

Be open to Me in your understanding. Discover Me in your heart. Work with Me in My Love.



If you are committed to the spiritual life you will give time and energy to finding God in all around you and reflecting on that finding. However, that reflection must be deepened by entering into the heart and allowing the ‘seed’ of God to be planted deeply. That activity in turn reveals an important critique of your life. It must be simplified so that the seed can be nurtured. Someone who is skilled in Spiritual Direction can help you with this process to discern ways forward. In the meantime let the three sentences work (be sown and nurtured) at depth.

+Martin
Argyll and The Isles

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Donald said...

But in our church only weeds are being sown and the sowing is concentrated on the road ways.Thus we have negative growth.

The good soil is ignored. The sower of the good seed has been tied up. We need the Holy Spirit to bring release and sow good seed. We need Him to direct the sowing to fruitful ground. We pray to the Lord of the Harvest.

7:02 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home