Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Matthew under the arm 51

My feet were sore yesterday, because I stumbled in a pot hole, because I wasn't looking! So i sat down to rest. Columba waited beside me and gave me a massage. Wonderful! (And me.... with my sweaty, smelly feet!) Afterwards, we prayed with this passage of Matthew. Columba, of course, as usual providing the sentence that suggested itself from the passage. Later, I asked him if there really was anyone, no matter how appalling their atttitudes and behaviour may be, who was utterly condemned. 'Oh yes!' he replied. 'Well... Mmmm.... If you are expecting me to consign someone to Hell irretrievably, then I must include myself.' He stood up. My jaw dropped.


Matthew 12:22-32….
Does denying the Holy Spirit really mean that we will never be forgiven? The forgiveness of God is the Love of God. To deny the work of the Spirit, is in fact to deny the work forgiveness and healing. It is to be in a self-imposed exile from creation because we put ourselves outside forgiveness. The sin against the Holy Spirit is not about whether I believe in God or not. What is absolutely crucial is whether I intentionally set out to destroy the economy of Love. The passage says ‘…in the this life or the next’. But!.... God will cross even my being ‘unforgiven’ in any world to come, out of love. There are outcasts around us now let alone in some vision of eternity. By responding to them in love now, I acknowledge eternity’s breaking in here now.


That I may perceive the Spirit of Forgiveness and Healing within me


To acknowledge that healing and forgiveness is happening means that you will be accepting change, transformation within you. That can be uncomfortable and bring apprehension. So you avoid it! That is, in a way, a denial of the Spirit of God. Does that condemn you to be an eternal outcast? If so there is no one acceptable to God. Christ, however, is the acceptance of God and will wait for every age you will be in, beyond your death, for an acceptance of love in its fullness. The beauty of this is awesome. Let the sentence lead you into the deep silence of this beauty! Now is the time to be truly responsive.

+Martin
Argyll and The Isles

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home