Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Matthew under the arm 13

Is this walking with Columba of any real 'use'...? Is there not something more creative, more enjoyable that I might be doing? Sometimes it seems that I am just putting one foot in front of the other and waiting for the next hot chocolate or....! As for Columba, well he seems to have his eyes permanently on the look out, not for danger, but as if he is expecting someone else to join us. Strangely this is not distracting him but making his own walking more attentive. He is on the look out for Christ, of course. Sometimes I notice him smile. He is smiling at himself and shaking his head. Columba, he is saying to himself, waken up! Christ is already with you...!

Matthew 5.13-16
‘…that seeing your good works, they may give praise to your Father’. So the good works point away from me and to God. Once again, this little passage reminds us of John the Baptist pointing to Christ and not getting in the way. I have a particular piece of work I am asked to do for God. I may be unclear what it is, but someone close to me might know. So the light of Christ shines through me as I am....the one Christ loves! The rest is the work of the Spirit of God. That involves trust. And that’s hard!

I would know Your Light within me to be a source of hope to those in darkness


What is the work that Christ wants of you? Well, ask Him! Be careful! You may well be doing that work and you don’t know it. So don’t be hard on yourself. Guilt is destructive in prayer let alone in living. In your imagination, picture someone you admire (a famous person in history for example….) asking you to work for her or him. What do you imagine that to be? Don’t think too hard – just let your imagination run - and enjoy it. Now imagine Christ asking you to do something…. Just let yourself be free and stay with the images and feelings. After you have left your meditation, note down any reactions, images or feelings you had.

+Martin
Argyll and The Isles.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home