Friday, June 15, 2007

Matthew under the arm 59

Columba and I wont be able to reflect on our pilgrimage until 28th June.... We have given ourselves some silence! (Sorry to our blog followers...but don't go away.... Back on 29th June)

Yesterday morning, I was with a group of people waiting outside the bread shop. Someone asked me about what was special about my pilgrimage companion, Columba. So I went on and on about his difficult and combative background; his rebelliousness in Ireland and all that... Then I spoke about his preaching and his holiness. Glazed eyes! It was as if everyone was saying to me: 'So what?' Then I remembered. So I told them of a little girl who had lost both her legs in an accident. She was being carried by her father. Columba had then turned to me and asked me to carry his rucksack as he had a sore back. I protested, but... it dawned on me... So I did. Then I spoke to someone else about my anxiety over my brother who was far away...would he pray for him and carry him? Before the day was out the pattern had spread... all kinds of people were carrying others 'loads'.... all from a little girl with no legs...


Matthew 13:31-35….
In a sense Jesus IS a parable. How do you speak of God the source of all being fully human? The paradox is too heady to engage with, other than in parables. So a tiny seed becoming a huge tree or a hidden little piece of leaven bringing about fermentation - indications of the paradox of God’s being in Jesus... Christ who is born apparently unnoticed becomes a universal realisation of God’s love. A what? No wonder Jesus spoke in parables.

I would know Your Wisdom in my heart as Your touch of Eternity



The heart is the place of hidden spiritual activity. Move there in simplicity. But spirituality is plagued by the notion that one can either fail at it or be successful. There are no measurements because it is what you are – it is the ‘being’ of who you are. When the microcosmic event of pregnancy begins there is nothing a woman can do to speed the completion of the pregnancy. In a sense that is what prayer is. Allow this sentence to help you to be simple and let God do the secret growing from what is being sown in you.

+Martin
Argyll and The Isles

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger An Honest Man said...

I don't comment much, but I do read and think about what you are saying.

(selfishly) Hurry back.

11:09 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home