Saturday, July 14, 2007

Matthew under the arm 65

[I've been away on my own retreat.... Thank you for being patient!]
Three days ago, I was walking behind Columba all day! I refused to walk beside him. Yes - self-pity - and nobody noticed! For several days fellow pilgrims had heard that Columba was on the same part of the pilgrimage, so had either waited until he caught up with them, or had raced to catch up with him. Instead of rejoicing at those who wanted to learn from Columba or to be inspired by him, I was jealous! Yes jealous! [He's mine... precious!!] So I hung back a few yards on my own and looked down at the ground, feeling humiliated by myself. In the evening, they didn't go away as we ate a light supper on the wall. Yes, I made sure Columba could see I was sitting on my own. The next day, Columba walked by himself. I still didn't join him. [You're mine...I control....] On the third day, I walked on my own without anyone, expecting to be released from my self-torture! Most of the day - tears! AND Columba didn't even bother to console me. I woke up then! ...just in time!

Matthew 14:1-12....
Herod feels acute guilt at murdering John, who had challenged his misuse of power. The presence of Jesus exposes the darkness that lies at the depths of human consciousness, with the intention, not of condemning but of healing. To complicate matters Herod is caught in the trap of sexual envy and bitterness. John the Baptist exposes corruption simply through his own personal authenticity.


Christ of compassion, rise with Your Healing Light through the darkness within me.

Richard Strauss composed a disturbing opera on the story of John's beheading: 'Salome'. It centres around the sexual infatuation of Salome, Herodias’ daughter, for John. If she cannot seduce him and own him, then she must destroy him. Extreme maybe. But it may help to expose similar and perhaps unowned vindictiveness that lies deep in the psyche. (Mine included!) Allow the sentence to be the means by which Christ gently exposes the unresolved bitternesses that often are pushed down out of fear...

+Martin
Argyll and The Isles

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poor pilgrim lost in a welter of sadness and self pity! But Columba's reaction ? Ignore poor old Gollum ....for three whole days...yet a word of loving kindness, of reassurance, of humour even, might break the demonic grip of darkness and isolation.

8:06 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home