Monday, August 13, 2007

Matthew under the arm 70


I walked out of the inn and stumped down the road. Well, I was tired. We had three days walking and nowhere to stay, sleep or rest. Even Columba was getting scratchy! (Even Columba? Come to think of it he can be waspish quite often! Perhaps all saints can sting!) After an hour and half, I went back and there was Columba sitting by the log fire staring at the flames. 'Do you want to walk on your own from now on?' I asked in a cold chilling tone. 'Why are you so angry with me?' Columba asked. 'Because you never take anything I say as being of much use or importance. I want to be taken seriously as teacher like you.' 'If it wasn't for you', he replied in a quiet measured tone, 'I would not be able to pass on the Christian practice to other pilgrims. Your love and care for me is not in what you say but in what you are. But, if I am not supporting you, forgive me. You are free to be on your own. You don't need me.' I wept. Why was I so full of self-pity? Columba was in tears too. I had wounded him!

Matthew 15:10-20....
'Whatever comes out of the mouth....' A word can either bring the beauty of creation into being or it can set in motion cold or hot rejection. The former comes from love; the latter from fear. If I speak from love, then it may be beautiful or it maybe hard, but not destructive. From fear, my words will wound or even alienate because of my desire to protect myself. If a group or nation behaves like this.....!


I would have my words drawn from Your Loving in the heart of me.

Do not dwell on what you may have said that has hurt. Instead, recollect an event where what you said, delighted or released love in someone no matter how small it may seem. As you enter meditation picture the scene you were in and enjoy it. Then give thanks. This will help you move into your still centre, where you can use the sentence to strengthen the creativity of your words.

+Martin
Argyll and The Isles

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't Bishop Martin wonderful? A star in our College of Bishops here in Scotland!

3:36 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home